<USS Avalon> Letting the Cat Outta the Bag - Skyler/Erridim

  • From: Raymond Danner <rdanner3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: USS Avalon PBeM Sim <avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:40:33 -0600

Letting the Cat Outta the Bag . . . Err . . . Can
by
Captain Skyler (XO, /USS Avalon/)
Ensign Talea Erridim, (Chief/Ops, /USS Avalon/)

Talea's Quarters, Bedroom
-------
A while after she and Walker had parted, Talea was sitting on her bed, looking at the stasis container that contained her animal companion. She knew beyond doubt that most Starfleet vessels frowned upon pets, much less one as large as Blackstone was, but she sighed and tapped open a comm channel to the Captain. "Ensign Erridim to Captain Skyler. I have a serious question for you, ma'am, that is not directly related to ship's business. Where might we meet to discuss this?" She swung her feet onto the bed and reclined, relaxing for a while until the Captain should answer. One advantage in Blackstone's favor was his human-level intelligence, but how to explain that while he was still in stasis?

Curious, she took the control bar back out and checked the status of the unit. She nodded as the status showed green all the way across the board, and was glad that, unlike other similar containers, hers wasn't decorated with a biohazard warning. She then stowed the control bar again and relaxed on the bed, still waiting the Captain's pleasure. Cialra contacted her, having eavesdropped on the request and suspecting the reasoning. "Talea, I've figured out what caused the stasis-locking in your case, and have a solution to be used when he's brought out. As for proving his human-level intelligence before he is revived? I am thinking on that very issue myself."

Talea, startled, sat up in near-alarm until she realized it was Cialra, and that she had good points. Relaxing again, she said quietly, "It is possible the Captain will not approve in any event; we both know how much a Greater Panther can eat, after all. Never mind the fact he's well-trained and able to assist Security."

Cialra stated quietly, "That's a good point to bring up, actually. Security could use his assistance when he's not actively helping you."

Talea sighed, then responded with, "Aye, but I'm not sure he'd appreciate being considered a mere service animal, Cialra, and if we do not work this quite carefully, that mistake will be made." At this truth, Cialra just made an annoyed sound and signed off, knowing Talea's concern was wise.

Hearing her name coming from the computer, Skyler responded. "Ensign Erridim, I am in my ready room and will be for a while if you would like to talk about whatever it is. I will be waiting for you." She closed the terminal and wondered what was on Talea's mind.

Talea heard the Captain's response and grinned, then checked her clothing, which was neat. After telepathically warning her of the move, she then teleported directly into the Captain's Ready Room.

Standing in a pose not quite parade-rest, but stiffer than a civilian would typically stand, she explained, "Sir, I have what might seem a rather unusual request to make of you. Namely, my animal companion, who is not a pet, has been in stasis for years now, and I expect that with his training and innate abilities, since he is a Regellian Greater Leopard, albeit still young, he would be an asset to Security and the defense of this vessel should we be boarded. He's quite adept at stalking, as I have discovered more than once." She chuckled softly, the tone rueful. "So, my request is simply that you discuss this with the Admiral, should that be required, and give him permission to be revived."

She tried not to become worried about the situation, and, she thought, successfully hid the concern and yes, fear. "If it helps, he is human intelligent and can communicate quite handily with anyone who has any degree of telepathic reception." She smiled slightly. "As for the stasis locking, Cialra reports she has a probable cure for it that would at least work for him." Talea smiled gently. "Assuming, of course, that Blackstone suffers from it. I'd know within moments, for he and I have been close for most of his life, and share something akin to a kinship link, but a little deeper than that. In fact, one reason both Walker and Cialra have mentioned reviving him now is simply the fact that I trust Blackstone with my life, as he has his with me."

She almost laughed, but held it back. "His ability to detect ill intent is remarkable, and is the main reason his revival is being requested." She blushed. "To guide me in casual male-female interaction, and to protect me should things go sour, as they sometimes do." She fell silent, her eyes very briefly betraying a plea for the Captain to permit the revival.

Skyler sat behind her desk, speechless. She hadn't a clue that there had been an animal brought aboard the ship. Let alone one that had been in stasis as long as this one apparently had. Looking up at Talea, she said somewhat sternly, "You mean to tell me that there is an animal on this ship and it is currently in stasis? Why was I not notified of this sooner and how did you manage to sneak this creature aboard the ship?" She shook her head in amazement. "There are proper procedures that need to be followed whenever a live animal is brought aboard a ship. Actually, I'm not even sure if an animal such as you describe is even allowed on a vessel!" Skyler didn't know what to do except sit there in total shock.

Talea nodded. "Yes, Sir. The problem is that in the case of a person with an animal companion, such as this, the two mustn't be separated, partly due to the person's vow to keep their animal companion safe. When I attended Starfleet Academy during my one term there, he was left in stasis the entire time; it's one reason he's been in stasis as long as he has this time." Her face was calm. "Power consumption is about half an amp at present; the field doesn't take that much power, thankfully, and I too wonder about the advisability of allowing him out, but for different reasons."

Shifting slightly, she continued, "The delay in notification, I cannot fully explain; Walker was the one who did the assessment, and quite a lot happened in a short period, so it's possible he simply neglected to pass the word up the command chain. I do not know for certain. I do know this: The last time he was scanned in stasis, at Starfleet Academy, he was disease-free, and approved. Since he's in hard stasis, same as I was when my vessel was recovered, he's basically in a timeless state."

"And just how big is this . . . animal of yours? Just how is it supposed to help you with interpersonal relationships?" She still couldn't believe that there was an unauthorized animal on the /Avalon/. "This comes at a most inopportune time. We are about to engage in a mission of great importance and I am not sure how wise it would be to have an animal roaming around the ship. Be it with security or with you."

Talea said quietly, "Blackstone has always had an ability to sense ill intent, especially toward me. He's saved my life numerous times. Quite a payback for my having saved his twice. As for his size?" She resisted smiling, but more from the fact she was now seriously nervous than any other cause. "He will eventually be roughly twice the size of a Terran panther, and is fully human-intelligent. Adult human." She said intently, "If you disapprove, he stays in stasis. For that matter, he's the safest being aboard this vessel at the present because of that stasis. I know of someone who survived a class-14 ion storm while in stasis. Granted, the stasis pod itself was inside a second hard-stasis field that later reportedly failed, so it is possible that had the second field not been active, she would not have survived, much less reached the vessel she did." She then noted, "As for how he could assist Security? Simple. He's faster than most people, and knows to do knockdown and restraint. He doesn't lose his cool while on duty." She almost shivered as she recalled the one time he /had/ lost his cool, fortunately after shift, and also fortunately in a place he could not hurt anyone. "And he follows orders, just as anyone else does. He does have a specialized combadge, one that can be tuned to allow locating him wherever he is aboard." For some undefined reason, she now was blazingly frightened, both for herself and for Blackstone, and couldn't pin down why.

Skyler still couldn't believe what she was hearing. Talea wanted her to allow a creature that would be bigger than a panther to roam around the ship. "Talea, before I can allow this Blackstone to be released, I will need more information about him/it. I need a full report of its abilities, requirements and possible uses. Not to mention possible problems that could occur with him roaming around the ship." Pausing before continuing, Skyler took a sip of water. "Then, even with this information, I cannot guarantee that I can allow him to be removed from stasis. I need to consider the safety of everyone aboard the ship as well as anyone we may bring aboard. Therefore, I am not saying yes, but I am not saying no at this time."

Talea, intelligent lady that she was, recognized an obstacle when she saw one, and simply bowed. "I understand, Captain. Either Cialra or I will present you with the facts you request as soon as possible." Internally, she was almost wailing from the crushing disappointment and still-rising anxiety, but waited for Skyler to comment and dismiss her. The last thing she needed right now was to be seen as even more of a rebel than Skyler obviously saw her as now, and her eyes darkened with her growing worry that this would spell a serious setback to her career. It was blindingly obvious that Skyler did not understand that Blackstone was no more hazard than a felinoid, although he was in feline form rather than being humanoid in appearance. He would, in fact, be highly indignant should he learn that someone considered him a mere animal!

"You needn't worry about this ruining your career. And, I do not see you as a rebel, merely as someone who is concerned for the safety of someone close to them. In respect, that is what I have to do when analyzing this situation. I must look out for the safety of all. Not just one. I'm sure you don't understand that, but it is my hope that in time you will."

Pausing for a moment, Skyler looked at her. "Talea, if I could grant this wish of yours immediately, I would. Please try to understand it has nothing to do with you or Blackstone. I am simply trying to do my job, difficult as it is at times. I look forward to your report and my door is always open if you should ever need to talk."

Talea sighed in relief. "Thank you, Sir." She grinned. "For not considering me a rebel, that is. And yes, I understand your caution. Very much so. With your permission, I'll get to work on the new briefing, although the report will be rather briefer than the one on my people could have been." She chuckled, as the original draft of that briefing had been easily ten times the actual brochure length. "Estimated time of completion of the request, at most three hours, Sir, and that's in Terran time. It's an hour and eight minutes by my people's reckoning." Stating that, and realizing that the "open door" comment was a dismissal, she bowed, then teleported directly to her quarters to begin the needed research.

Skyler just looked a little startled as Talea vanished, leaving a brief cool breeze in her wake. Even though she knew Talea had the ability to teleport, it was something of a shock each time she did it. Just one more thing to get used to with this new crew.