<USS Avalon> =/\= Last But Not Least =/\=

  • From: FelicityRoanMO@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:29:05 EST

=/\= Last But Not Least =/\=
a joint log by Cam Loyen and  Felicity Roan

After waiting for Lieutenant Loyen to report in  for more than a day,
Felicity decided it was time to track her 'rogue'  Physical Therapist down.
"Computer, please locate Lieutenant  Loyen."

The Lieutenant was in his office/therapy suite, on the other side  of the
medlabs, when his comm chirped.  "Loyen here."  He tilted his  head as he
looked
at where he'd put the massage table.  It wasn't quite  right there, but it
would have to do.

"Good afternoon, Mister  Loyen.  This is Doctor Roan, Chief of Medical
Services.  Please stop  by my offices when you have a chance, I'd like to talk
you."  Felicity  tried to sound official, and not cold and unhappy.

Since every time Cam  had stopped by the CMO's office, she was out, he was
actually happy to hear from  her.  His voice was warm as he responded, "I'll be
right over, Dr.  Roan."  He tossed his ponytail back over his shoulder where
it belonged,  and left the room, with one last glance back at the massage
table.

Felicity heard the chime and answered simply, "Enter."  She  was thankful
this was the last of these introductions she'd have to do for a  while.  Her
hospitality gene was just about tapped.  She was more than  ready to climb back
into her shell.  "Mr. Loyen? Nice to meet you finally,  I'm Felicity Roan.
Welcome Aboard."  She held out her hand and smiled  politely.

The hand that took hers was bronze-brown and muscular, with  long square
fingers and neatly manicured nails.  Cam gave her a wide smile,  and turned on
every bit of his empathic charm.  She seemed to need a little  bolstering.
"Thank you, Doctor.  I'm glad to finally catch up with  you -- it seems our
schedules just haven't come together very well."

"As  you probably have gathered, we have had a large influx of new staff, our
 Commander fell ill and assorted other things, so I have been a bit
preoccupied.  My sincere apologies for not ensuring your transition was a
smooth one.
 In any case, let's start by finding out why you wanted to come  be on a
starship?  From there, I think we'll give you the remainder of the  tour you
haven't had and review your medical files.  Sound like a  plan?"

He nodded, brushing back a few long pale hairs that had escaped  the
ponytail.  "I don't want to take up your time if you're busy with more  urgent
matters," he said, his voice projecting the relaxation and cheer he felt  she
needed.
 Anyone who wasn't a complete clod would pick up on some of it, at least.
"But I'm glad of the opportunity to talk with  you.  I requested this posting
because..."  Could he say it?  "I  was placed in the path of a wonderful young
woman, became emotionally involved  with her, and then was asked to betray her
trust in me."

Felicity nodded,  not wanting to pry into the young man's personal life.
"No, no no, not a  bother at all, I make it a point to welcome all new crew, we
just haven't had so  many at once and with side activities as well.  I'm happy
to spend time  getting to know you.  I am sorry that a painful experience lead
you to us,  but hope you will make the most of it.  Let's start the tour
shall  we?"

She got up and exited the office and walked outside and waited  for him to
catch up.  "Are there any areas you wanted to see but have not  as yet?"

Cam followed, his stride easy and loose.  "I haven't really  looked around
all of Sickbay, not being a doctor myself, you understand.   But I admit I'm
curious about it."

Felicity nodded simply and pointed to  the main areas of note.  "Just because
you aren't a doctor, doesn't mean  your role won't be important.  You never
know what we might ask you to do  in a crisis.  As you can see, this is the
main staging area and triage  department.  Through those doors is the surgical
and isolation wards.   Over this way is the Equipment storage area and that
door
leads to the  Counseling area."  She tried to make this sound much more
interesting that  it was in reality, but didn't want to bore the Therapist to
tears.

He  chuckled softly, sensing her boredom with the routine explanation.
"Doctor  ... only show me what's interesting to you," he suggested.

She  turned and smiled, "Ahh, in that case, I have a lovely slide of
Morollian  hepatitis that you might like to see, but alas, it would not help
you
become  familiar with the ship.  But thank you for the offer.  What other
questions do you have?  Are your living quarters and roommate working out
okay?"

Cam's laugh was genuine.  "I can ask any security guard, or  even the
cleaning crew, to show me the way if I get lost," he explained. "I'm  much more
interested in the people I work with.  If you've read my records,  you know
I've
spent the last nineteen Earth months certifying combat-shocked  officers as
ready to return to duty.  So even though I'm assigned here as a  physical
therapist and trainer, feel free to throw me in the direction of your  Ship's
Counselor to help out there as well."  He grinned.  "And I'm  happy to say that
seniority in rank does come with a few privileges -- such as  single quarters.
Small, but adequate for my needs."

Felicity  agreed, "True.  I do remember my first roommate fondly.  May they
live  a happy life, on the other side of the galaxy.  In any case, it seems
like  you've acclimated yourself well to the ship so far.  Your physical upload

seems sufficient to waive the normal one, I'll make a note in your file, just
for the formalities of Star Fleet.  I really don't have anything else for
you.  I am glad that you've joined us, albeit at a very chaotic time, but  I'm
sure your skills will be more than useful."

Felicity smiled, "You are  free to return to what you were doing.  Please let
me know if you need any  assistance.  Nurse Georgia Lewis has also been here
for a longer time  than I have, and she probably would be able to provide
additional insight, if  you need help."

Cam bowed, a semi-formal gesture that from some people  might have appeared
clownish, but he knew exactly what he was doing and pulled  it off with grace
and finesse.  "Thank you, Dr. Roan.  I'll be sure to  speak with Nurse Lewis
soon.  Please feel free to stop by the therapy suite  any time -- free
relaxation massages to senior officers," he added with a  wink.

Felicity said simply, "Thank you.  Have a nice  afternoon."  With a second
nod, she disappeared inside her lab, now  thankful that the introductions were
over and the fun would really begin, the  follow-up to ensure they were all
on-track.

He watched her go, wondering  if she was so exhausted that she couldn't
loosen up, or if she was that formal  all the time.  He'd make a point to find
out
-- and to make sure she  knew that he was firmly attached to someone else, and
not flirting with  her.  Which brought to mind his date with Kaera in just a
few hours.   He'd have to come up with something very special for her ... and
that occupied  his mind as he wandered back to his office.

=/\=