<USS Avalon> Father and Daughter

  • From: CptKetchum@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:40:08 EST

Father and Daughter
By Captain Keith Ketchum (Avalon) and Tess Ketchum (DSD1)

It had been several weeks since he left his daughter Tess and his own father,
Ambassador Dawson Praz on Deep Space Delta One.

Keith had contacted his daughter via a letter to have her take the box that
he had delivered with them and put it on the floor at a particular time, and
open it.  The box was only about six inches square

Keith had an exact copy of the box on his own desk, at the prescribed time he
put the box on the floor and clicked the top to open.  Once he opened it,
nothing happened.  But after a few minutes she appeared.

Tess looked wide-eyed at her father, “Daddy!”  Running over to him, she
hugged him.  It felt so real, for both of them.

“Hello, little one.  You have gotten big.”

“I know Daddy.  I am seven and a half now.  So, what is this box-thing?”

“This, my dear is something that Starfleet is working on to make
communications better, it incorporates holo-technology.  Taking the image from
your end
and making it here, and vice-versa.  How it works doesn’t matter, what
matters
is that I can see you.”

“I miss you daddy.  When are you coming back to Delta?”

“You know, little one, getting where I want to go isn’t always very easy.
But at least now I can talk to you and almost feel you.”

“I agree, daddy.  Wait ‘til Granda finds out about it.”

Keith just smiled.  He hadn’t seen his daughter this excited in quite a
while.  But he knew that the device would allow him more time to spend with her.

They talked for what seemed like hours, she giving him the low-down on events
about the station.  He asked if her Grandfather had heard anything about
returning to Earth, she just said no.  The Council hadn’t been called back
yet.

He read her, her favorite book, and kissed her goodnight.  He watched her
fall asleep before reaching down and turning off the box.  He closed it
carefully.

He walked from his office into the corridor.  His step was a little more
sure, and his stature was one of relaxation.  Today had been a good day.