<USS Avalon> "Defining a Friend" (Skyler, Moreya)

  • From: "Jamie Lawson" <ayeshalan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:11:54 -0800

Defining a Friend
Skyler, Moreya
2006:11:19

The friend who is a helpmate, the friend in happiness and woe, the
friend who gives good counsel, the friend who sympathises too -- these
four as friends the wise behold and cherish them devotedly as does a
mother her own child. -- The Buddha

Watching as Captain Phillips left the bridge area, Skyler couldn't believe
how conflicted her feelings were. She also knew that there was one person
on the bridge who was watching her every move with interest.

She didn't know why, but she could sense Moreya watching her.  It was almost
like Moreya knew that she was full of conflict regarding Tavi, Tery and Moreya
herself. She needed to talk to the Deltan, needed to talk to someone who could
help her figure things out.

Business first. "Lt. Moreya, once the ship has been firmly recaptured, I would
like you to join the away team that goes back to the Avalon-B.  I am sure you
are eager to find out exactly what happened to her.  Almost as eager as I am."

The Deltan smiled.  "Indeed I am, Captain.  I have never heard of a case of a
bio-neural net succumbing to an infection so quickly and so completely.  If
Starfleet is to continue using this technology, we need to find out exactly
how it happened aboard the Avalon."

"My worst fear is that we will have to destroy the ship to keep what technology
is still aboard her away from any more looters," Skyler said.  "The infection
occurred when we took on a rather large spider. It was a first contact mission.
I'm not sure how successful the mission turned out to be, when we had to send
our guest on her way before she and her ship became infected.  It is believed
that secretions from her limbs may be the cause of the infection."

**What else is going through your head, Moreya?** Skyler thought.  **I know it
is more than just the mission at hand. You are quite good at multi-tasking.**

"I dare say there wasn't time to investigate that thoroughly ... and we will,
of course, have to be very careful how we handle the entire ship," Moreya said.
"Even though the infection should have run its course by now, it could still
be contagious."  She returned Skyler's intent gaze calmly.

"Do you need to stay on the bridge to monitor the progress of the Marine team,
or is there time to adjourn to your ready room for a few minutes?" she added
quietly.

**Here it comes.** "I believe that I can leave for awhile.  Tavi and Lt.
Philippa can handle things for now." Looking at Tavi and the navigator, she
told them both she would be in her ready room and to call immediately if
anything happened. As she got up to go to her office, she looked at Tavi and
winked.  "If you would like to follow me, Lt., I believe we can adjourn and
you can tell me what is on your mind." **What _is_ on your mind, Moreya?**

Moreya made a few quick notations on the Science console then followed
Skyler, flashing a quick smile to Tavi as she passed.  Once the door of
Skyler's ready room had closed behind them, she said, "It's been a very full
few days, hasn't it?"

Walking over to the replicator, Skyler made two drinks -- Moreya's favorite
tea, and a glass of water for herself. She handed the tea to the Deltan and bid
her have a seat. She herself took the chair opposite her friend.

"I've been busy with Tavi, if that is what you mean. She wanted to spend a
day in Engineering so I had to arrange that. And now this business with the
Avalon-B. I suppose you could say it has been busy. Why do you ask? Am not
doing my job appropriately?"

"You're doing your job just fine," Moreya replied.  "There's no need to be
defensive.  There are certainly many people who would have a difficult time
managing a new daughter, a new love affair, and their job simultaneously, but
you are handling things quite well."

Trying not to looked shocked, Skyler wasn't sure what to say. "I apologize if
I was being defensive. It was not intentional. I am just tired, I think.  What
makes you think I am having an affair?" **Damn, does it show that much?**

"I believe humans have a saying, 'as plain as the nose on my face,' or
something like that.  In this case, it is very plain to a Deltan nose." She
flashed Skyler a quick grin.  "We are very sensitive to scents and pheromones
of all kinds.  Someone had a ... a tryst ... in this room, less than 24 hours
ago.  The air circulation and filtration systems of this ship are very
efficient, but some traces do linger."

Sitting there, Skyler was momentarily at a loss for words. She knew Deltans
were sensitive, but she hadn't expected this.   When the words did come, it
was in a torrent.  "I'm not going to lie to you Moreya. I did have
a ... tryst, as you call it. I can't explain it.  It just happened and I know
better. It was totally out of character for me.  At least I would like to
think so. To make matters worse, the other party is only an Ensign. I could
end up ruining my career as well as hers. On the other hand, it was like it was
meant to be. I've already talked to Tavi about it and she is okay with it."
Smiling, she thought back to their conversation.

"She made the comment that as long as no one was being hurt and I was happy,
why should it matter to anyone. She also stated that for all she knew she
could be like me and like girls also. However she was too young for that just
yet. She wants me to be happy, just as I want her to be happy. I don't know if
I made a mistake or what. In my head, I know it shouldn't have happened."
**Of course it doesn't help that I have feelings for you.**

"The last I checked regulations, relationships between officers of different
rank are not forbidden, although certainly not encouraged," Moreya said
mildly.  "And love at first sight is a moment to be treasured, not questioned,
I should think.  I have but one question for you.  Does your partner feel the
same about you, as you do about her.  Does she in her heart want this as much
as you do?"

Looking at Moreya, Skyler wasn't sure how to answer that question.  She and
Tery had not gone into great detail about their wants and needs.  Other than
both wanted family. "Am I that readable, Moreya? To be honest, I don't know
what I really feel other than something special happened. Is it love at first
sight or just a physical need? I don't know." **Had it been you, there would
be no doubt in my mind or my heart. But that is not going to happen, and I
should accept it.**

"Moreya, the relationship that you and I have exists on many different
planes. I would do anything for you, as I know you would do the same.  I
trust your judgement and your advice. I know that you honestly care for me,
as I do you. I'm not sure what I would do without you in my life in some way.
You always know how to help me see what I am overlooking, or find a better
way to look at things. To be honest I don't know how to clarify our
relationship or if it even can be clarified."

Getting up to go get another drink, Skyler had to walk in front of Moreya.
Just smelling her scent brought back vivid memories. She couldn't even look
at her as she walked past. Finally reaching the replicator, she managed to
summon another glass of water for her and tea for Moreya.  Walking back
and handing the tea to Moreya, Skyler could feel a strange ... exhilaration
as there two hands touched ever so briefly. **My God Moreya, don't you know
how I feel or what you do to me? Not that I would change a thing.**

As their hands brushed in the exchange of a glass, Moreya looked carefully
at Skyler, using all her senses to take in the other woman's presence -- and
using all her will to control the release of pheromones that could -- if she
wasn't careful -- take this meeting into a completely different direction.

She felt a twinge of sorrow.  Relationships with other species were so
complex sometimes.  But then, ones between herself and fellow Deltans weren't
exactly simple either.

"Dear Skyler," she said, "I feel much the same way about you.  You are a dear,
dear friend -- perhaps the closest I have ever had.  And, in the way of my
people, we have twined our beings together, mind, spirit ... and body.  I
would not want to change any of that -- but I know that the ways of Deltans
are difficult to understand for some, and I would not for anything cause a
rift between yourself and your new family."

"Moreya, my friend. You are a part of my family.  A very important part.
That is never going to change. I am glad to know you would not change anything
that has happened between us, as I would not want to either.  Being with you
in all ways was the most beautiful experience I have ever had.  I would not
change it for anything. You made me feel and see things in such a different
way, that if not for that I don't know if I could have taken on this business
with Tavi. In fact speaking of Tavi, there is something that has been on my
mind a great deal."

Taking a sip of her drink to moisten her parched mouth, Skyler paused a moment.
Getting up, she moved over to sit next to her friend.  She reached out and took
her hand in her own. "Moreya, will do me the honor of being Tavi's Godmother
and look after her if anything should ever happen to me?"

The coldness of Skyler's hands told Moreya of her friend's turmoil, as clearly
as any of the other signs she could read.  She looked deep into Skyler's eyes
and said, "Of course I will.  It would be a great honor.  I hope Tavi and I can
become friends as well ... I am looking forward to that.  She is a truly
remarkable young person."

Skyler couldn't stop looking into Moreya's eyes. They were like mirrors to her
own soul. She didn't understand why she felt the way she did, nor did she even
know how Moreya felt. She was torn between telling her and not telling. Would
it change things between them? She didn't want to lose Moreya's friendship.
All she wanted at that moment was for Moreya to hold her and tell her she was
doing the right thing. At that moment she needed to feel like she belonged
somewhere, to someone, even as a very good friend.

"Thank you, Moreya. It means a lot that you are willing to take on this
responsibility. I know you and Tavi will become great friends. She already
knows how much you mean to me. We have both agreed that once the Admiral
returns that we are going to talk to him about the two of us adopting each
other. I would like you to be a witness. That is, if it's not asking too much?"

Moreya pulled her hand toward her own head, drawing Skyler's hand with it,
until Skyler's knuckles were resting on Moreya's brow.  "Nothing you could
ever ask could be too much for me, my dear," she said, her voice soft but
firm.  "Never doubt it."

Skyler's nerves were on fire. She didn't know what to do. All she knew was how
she felt. She knew she would be taking a risk but she needed ... it.

"Nothing is too much, Moreya? Be careful of what you say. I do have one thing
to ask of you, and if you feel you can't do it I will understand, and nothing
will change."

Taking a deep breath she whispered softly, "Moreya, could you please hold me?
I know the risk involved but I need you to hold me. Pretty stupid, huh?"

Moreya let go of Skyler's hands and stood up, gently laughing.  "Hold you?
Is that all?"  She leaned on the edge of Skyler's desk and opened her arms.
"Come, dear friend.  Never fear -- and never feel stupid.  I can always hold
you."

Feeling Moreya's arms around her was like nothing she had felt before.  She
felt like a load had been lifted off of her. She knew there wouldn't be more,
but for now this was more than enough. More than she would ever hope for.

"Thank you, Moreya. Thank you for everything. For being my friend and ...
much more. I have something to tell you, and I'm not sure how to tell you.
Or if it is a good idea to tell you." A lone tear fell down her face.

"We need have no secrets between us, dear Skyler.  The only bad idea would
be to act as if there were," the Deltan murmured into Skyler's ear.  "What
is it?"

Skyler's heart was pounding. "Moreya, I love you. I mean ... I am in love
with you. I know you don't feel the same and that is fine. I just had to tell
you or I was going to go nuts. I don't want this to ruin our relationship.
Please tell me it won't? I don't know what I would do if things changed
between us. If I couldn't ask you for a simple hug like this."

She couldn't stop the tears from flowing now. She didn't know if she had
just ruined the best thing in her life.

"Oh my dear, don't ever be afraid of that," Moreya said, tightening her
hold on Skyler just a fraction.  "Nothing about our relationship will ever
change unless you want it to.  I love you too.  Exactly how -- I don't know
if I can even explain how to myself yet, but some day I will.  And when that
day comes I will explain it to you as well.  But until then ... fear not.
I will always be with you."

"Thank you, Moreya. For everything. I think perhaps we should return to the
bridge. The away team should be reporting in soon. You do know I won't let
anything happen to our relationship that you don't want to happen. I know how
important your emotions and such are to you. They are to me as well.  When you
figure it all out perhaps you can explain it to me."

"Of course," Moreya said, gently releasing her hold on Skyler.  "In the
meantime, we both have a great deal of work to do."  She smiled, pressed her
knuckles into her brow for a moment, then turned to go.

--
"The weather's fine but there may be a meteor shower..."
Where were you in 1986? http://20yearsago.libsyn.com