<USS Avalon> "Catching Up"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:05:52 -0800 (PST)

Catching Up
By Lieutenant Commander Anthony Manson
and Senior Lieutenant Elissabeth Marksbury

Finally, it was over. A full two days before her original plans, but she had
the best trained team she could possibly have in such a short amount of time.
And she had to admit, they were damned good.

Walking into her office that morning, she had been surprised to find Sierra?s
office instead. Or at least the contents thereof. It had disoriented her to the
point where she stepped outside and checked the name on the side of the door.
Either they had bribed the night security or they were even better than she
thought. Quickly checking the security feeds, she found nothing. They even
covered their tracks. She smiled triumphantly.

Marksbury ordered them to put it back before Sierra came in for work. She did
not want to see the look on his face. Actually, she did, but didn?t want to be
around to catch the obligatory lecture for the behavior of her team. Though she
figured he?d secretly be pleased, like she was. It was inevitable he?d find
out, considering the covert ops team was spending the morning switching things
back around, much to the amusement of the security personnel.

In the meantime, she had sent a message to Commander Manson. This was the day
they were to arrive at their destination and she wondered about their ETA.
Ketchum had said there were diplomatic channels to go through first, so she
knew there was still time before they would be sent - if they were to be sent -
but it never hurt to keep in touch.

"You did what?" Anthony asked laughing, pausing outside Marksbury?s door.

"Yeah, we switched everything. You should've seen it. It completely caught her
off guard," Forester said and Anthony swore he saw a twinkle in the young man's
eye.

"It was good. Very good. Come on Forester, help me with this," Monroe pulled up
the sofa a little more.

Anthony smirked, shaking his head as he tapped the chime.

"Come in," she called, expecting another delivery of furniture or knick-knacks.
She was surprised to see Anthony so soon. "Commander," she smiled, standing.
"Thought I?d see you at lunch, or this afternoon."

"It didn't say a time, and I have a few minutes before my shift begins. Your
team," he grinned, "wicked, very wicked."

An even bigger smile crossing her face, she told him, "I loved it, but had to
play all mad. It was fun. They're very, very good. With an odd sense of humour,
too. I'd offer a sofa for you to sit on more comfortably than that chair, but
I'm still awaiting its delivery. And I know they won't bother us while we're
talking."

"Don?t worry about it. So," he took the seat, "I've got fifteen minutes before
my shift begins, what's up?"

"I just wondered the status of our arrival and this mission. I've been out of
touch this week, to put it mildly. And I wanted to see how you were doing."

"Doing alright, actually, and we're close by. Very close. It's only a matter of
hours until the Ferengi start panicking."

"Have to say, I'm glad I?m the one to hide in the shadows and not have to make
nice." Looking at him squarely, she added, "No more incidents?"

He shook his head, "No, your escort must be effective enough." Internally, he
suspected Elissabeth knew more than she was saying. In fact, she was radiating
with an emotion that bordered on concealment, but Anthony let it go. "How's
your headache? Still bothering you?"

"Honestly? Hasn't went away. I have pain relievers from Cazook and they get me
through the day. I keep thinking now that it's over, the effects will wear
off... headaches, nose bleeds, but so far the only time I haven't been in pain
was when -" she stopped suddenly, realising it for the first time. The only
time her headaches were gone was when she was in the presence of the Shadow.
Tel. She hadn't seen him for two days and she'd nearly convinced herself it had
been a very realistic, sleep-depravation induced dream. "When I was sleeping,"
she finished.

"Oh, I?m sorry to hear that," Anthony replied softly. Hesitation. She hesitated
on something. That something meant too many things to figure out. Again, he let
it go, considering he never liked to spy on people's emotions, "So, how's
things with James?"

"This training... working together like this has put a strain on things, but we
managed." Changing the subject, she asked, "Chosen a wedding day yet?"

Anthony shook his head, "No.. probably at the end of the mission. I doubt we
have the chance to get married mid-mission."

"Besides, what sort of honeymoon would that be?"

Anthony laughed, "Exactly. I certainly don?t want to be chasing after things on
my honeymoon. Aside from Alder, of course."

"I think," she grinned and winked, "that was more information than I really
needed."

"Everyone slips sometimes," Anthony shrugged, still smiling. "So how ?bout you
be the best woman at the wedding?"

The question completely caught her off guard. "Are you... I... um...I mean..."
Taking a breath, she started over, "I'm sorry, you surprised me. I would be
honoured to."

"Great, I mean, I considered it being a small gathering and then thought
against it. Alder mentioned he wanted some friends to be there." Anthony
nodded, "So it's settled. After the mission, you get to be my best woman."

She chuckled, "Just don't make me wear teal taffeta. I'd never forgive you."

"That's unnecessary torture," Anthony laughed.

Standing, she said, "Guess I better let you get to work. I think I've got half
a team outside with office furnishings waiting to be put back in place." She
shook her head and smiled. "They really exceeded my expectations. A good team,
really good team..." her words trailed away, as she seemed to be lost in
thought.

"Catch you later, Elissabeth."