<USS Avalon> "An Ensign's Loyalties" Pt. 4

  • From: "Brad Ruder" <GroundZero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:22:29 -0700

"An Ensign's Loyalties" - Part Four
by Lieutenant Commander Javan Sierra
& Ensign Michael Bailey

Ensign Michael Bailey stood in front of the mirror in his quarter's zipping up his uniform shirt and slipping on the combadge, getting ready to head over to the Lieutenant's quarters as they agreed upon the day before. Ensign Bailey was ready to give his decision. He knew it could have horrid consequences no matter which way he went, but this was something he had to do. He exited his quarters and in to the turbolift with the only thought on his mind: Am I doing the right thing? The turbolift doors shut as his eyes closed and he let out a sigh.

Javan stretched, but the time near closer all the same. Javan was a bit worried; he had to admit it at least, about what the Ensign was going to do. On one hand he may have to kill the man and on the other he may have to get him trained in proper covert operations etiquette. Either way there was danger, but Javan was no stranger to risk. He kicked out on the couch and waited. Oh, how the seconds seemed like hours.

He stepped off the turbolift, the time seeming to go slower and slower by the footsteps, he passed by several officers who's voices never sunk in, he just ignored them and continued down the corridor to the Lieutenant's quarters. He stopped and took one final deep breath before pushing the buzzer and waited.

If he didn't feel the presence of the Ensign outside of his door he would have jumped. So much for a calm serenity, Javan thought as he stood and readjusted his T-shirt. "Enter." He took a breath and hoped for the best.

Bailey entered the quarters and walked to Javan standing before him, not saying a word, just eyeing him from head to toe, not showing one ounce of fear in his body his fingers interlocked in a tight embrace as his eyes finally met the Lieutenant's. He nods slightly before speaking, "Lieutenant."

"Ensign," Javan said returning the nod. "I'm assuming you came to some sort of a decision?"

"Yes, I have. Took me a while to determined where I actually stood." He turned his head slightly.

"And?" Javan didn't want to seem pushy, but it was nagging at him knowing that his fate was just a breath and a few words away.

"I have decided to keep your secret, as I researched into Section 31 more, thanks to my parents old files. They were neglectful, probably why they died. Trust me, the files we're destroyed."

Javan smirked, "Good choice."

Michael tilted his head, "You think your threat back on the Allegiance influenced my decision, Lieutenant? You?re seriously mistaken. I did, however, see your reasoning behind it."

He smiled and brushed off the ensign's ignorance. Javan walked to the replicator and got himself a glass of water and quickly quenched his thirst. "I'm a much more dangerous man then you care to admit, Ensign, that makes you just as neglectful as your parents. I'd pay more attention to me next time I threaten you. If you had chosen to rat me out you'd never have made it out of my quarters."

Bailey laughed slightly, he may have been ignorant, but the Lieutenant also suffered from it. "That may be true, or that might not have been. I am not the type to rat someone else out, sir. Even if they might be crude, arrogant people. Don't get me wrong, I am arrogant myself, but I would not under-estimate me, Lieutenant. Now, I think we should move on and discontinue trying to show each other up. With our ego's, we will fail."

"You're pompous for an Ensign, how'd you graduate?" He smiled and sat down. "Kind of reminds myself of me."

"Perhaps that's why we clashed from the get go. As far as me graduating, you got me on that one." He smirked, "I sure did not intend too, but since I did, I figure I would do something more useful then waiting tables on a Starbase."

Javan nodded with a smile, "I hear you. Would you like something to drink, Ensign? I've got a full service replicator that also has some other 'Section 31 Approved' beverages such as Romulan Ale, and Tholian Cheska Sticks." He motioned with his hand to the small console on the wall.

Looking at the replicator then to Javan, Michael said with a perked eyebrow, "You forgot to mention ?Section 31 approved? cyanide, sir." The ensign chuckled slightly and walked to the replicator, but stopped and turned. "By the way, sir. If I were to rat you out, do you honestly think I would meet you alone to tell you that?"

"I figured you wouldn't. I rigged a site-to-site transport that if you were in a turbolift heading to the bridge that you'd be instantly beamed to my quarters. Either way you'd be here first." Javan finished his water and put the glass on the table. "Do you really think I'd let you waltz about on a ship with a secret of that magnitude?"

"I figured you would do something similar to that, I do give you more credit than you realize. But, if I were to give you away. It wouldn't be to Starfleet ? that would be useless. I would sell the information to an outside source, if I were greedy."

Javan simply acknowledged him, "That's the way I'd go." Javan waited in the awkward silence for just a moment. "I'm going to tell you something that I've never really told anyone before."

Bailey perked an eyebrow, curious. "Feel free, sir." He picked up his drink from the replicator and returned to the Lieutenant's position standing before him.

"Thank you."