<USS Avalon> "A Release"

  • From: Lyryn Cate <wistful_fancy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:57:22 -0800 (PST)

*I'm releasing this on behalf of Sussanna who is out of town.

A Release
by Ensign Sussanna Jameson

"Computer, run program Jameson 1."

The blue walls of the holosuite dissolved into a gothic and darkly decorated
room. Looking down at her clothes, Anna saw with a little satisfaction that she
was now dressed in black jeans, a long leather jacket and a red velvet basque.
The darkness of her attire contrasted with her normally light skin, making her
look even paler. Solid black boots were on her feet and she could feel the
harness of a gun around her torso.

The room was elegantly decorated, with deep velvet curtains and a rich, deep
pile carpet under foot. It was also deserted. A creak from up above her
declared that the rest of the house was not.

Quietly slipping her gun from its holster, Anna crept to the door and silently
swung it open. The hall was empty also. Another creak from above. Stairs
leading up and down beckoned at the end of the gas lamp lit corridor.

A piercing scream had Anna bolting up the stairs, taking two at a time, and
into a hall much like the one she'd left. Pausing very briefly, Anna tried to
discern the likely direction of the scream and creaks. This was the top floor,
so it had to be from here. Besides the creaks had been directly above her and
the scream had been loud enough to chill her blood. Another, quieter scream
declared the room at the end. Always the one at the end, she thought bitterly.

The floor boards around that door would creak, they always did, so she made no
effort to creep up but merely strode to it and knocked before bursting in.

Blood covered everything. Three bodies were just visible on the floor in
various stages of being dismembered and a fourth lay prone on the bed. Without
taking her eyes from the young woman, Anna aimed her gun slightly above and to
the left of the bed's sweeping canopy. A shriek told her she'd hit her mark,
but she didn't have time to be smug about it.

Within seconds of her shot going off, twelve huge men rushed from behind her
and from a small door at the back of the room. She dropped and rolled out of
the way of their already firing guns, feeling a sting on her left shoulder from
a grazing bullet. Aiming wasn't an option, she just fired round after round,
throwing her gun down when it was empty and replacing it with one from her leg
holster.

Arms, legs and heads exploded in fountains of blood as her bullets bit into the
assault. The red from the victims' blood was soon replenished from that of the
men and still they came on. Her gun clicked empty as the last man fell but she
lay where she was for a long time, trying to get her breath back and form
coherent thoughts again.

"You are a ferocious warrior, little one." Cultured and european, the silky
voice sang out from the other side of the bed.

Knowing that she was out of bullets and that they probably wouldn't kill this
being anyway, Anna slowly pulled herself up. Her coat was already hard from
drying blood and her white hair was tinged red. The man before her was tall and
as elegant as his voice. Straight black hair was pulled away from his face in a
braid and vibrant, opalescent blue eyes sparkled under a brooding brow.

"They are always human, you never have vampire minions. Why is that?" she said,
her voice slightly croaky.

He shrugged and took a pace toward her. "They are cheeper, I suppose. Why do
you come here, little one?"

A crooked and cynical smile spread across her face. "I needed to vent I guess."

"Vent? You have had a hard day then?"

Two steps and she'd closed the distance between them. She looked into those
hypnotic eyes and placed her hand on his white shirt front. "You could say I've
had a hard week."

"Then let me make it easier, let me help you rest." His voice was so soothing
and enchanting, she felt herself falling into it and drowning as she lifted the
wooden stake up beside him and thrust it through his chest.

"You already have." Dust settled around her like snow from the dying embrace of
the vampire. "Computer, end program."