atw: page numbering

  • From: Terry D <morgan4four@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:11:29 +1000 (EST)

Hi Ilana,

If you only have a single section after the TOC, you
can use the SectionPages field.

If, as is likely, you have multiple sections, you most
probably need to use a formula. To get the #prelim
pages into the formula, I used to have a bookmarked
field with that number of pages (do this with either
the section pages field anywhere in that section, or
have a page number field on the last of the prelim
pages).

BTW, in w2k, to get this field into the formula it had
to be in the body of the page, not the header/footer,
and if you didn't want a spurious number printing
somewhere in your text, it had to be white font, not
hidden. I buried it in the standard copyright text,
which was never edited.

You can then include the bookmark as part of the
formula.

I know there are other (possibly more elegant) ways of
doing this. Maybe some others can help with that.

HTH,
Terry