atw: ethics and skills

  • From: Terry D <morgan4four@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:32:22 +1100 (EST)

> But there is also wrongdoing - one team member used
> a manual I wrote,
> and in which he took no part, at a job interview.
> He got the job - and
> I knew for experience working with him that he was
> not capable of doing
> it.

I had an interesting experience a few years back when
I developed a template for a project I was working on.
Within an hour of putting it on the intranet, one of
the other 'writers' came around and told me he wanted
to show me a template he'd created a month or two
earlier. It was the one I had just finished. Now, this
guy didn't even know how to auto-generate a TOC in
MSWord, and here he was with my template with my
initials all over it saying he'd created all of these
styles with short-cut keys. I asked him how he did a
couple of the features. Obviously, he couldn't answer.
I then pointed out that it was my work.

I am able to say that he has failed in job hunting a
couple of times because recruiters have asked if I
know him.

I also worked with a guy who didn't know why the text
he was typing in was gobbling up existing text, or how
Ctrl affected operations like Delete, Backspace, Home
and End. Yet this guy had several years experience as
a writer. He also change ANDing and ORing in a
document on circuit logic to adding and o-ring.

When I recruit writers, I always request a softcopy of
their work as that tells me so much more about their
knowledge of the applications they're using. And,
where possible, I ask people I know and trust to
referee on the applicant's skills.

However, a brief test that shows their computer,
language, communications and technical skills is a
good way of getting around a shortfall of referees.

Cheers,
Terry

http://au.movies.yahoo.com