atw: Tips: Presentation Coach & Beyond Bullets

  • From: Craig Hadden <craig_john_hadden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: atw <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:31:05 +1000 (EST)

You might find this message of interest if you ever
give presentations.

1. Recently I came across an excellent site called
Presentation Coach. I found the following pages
particularly punchy:

http://presentationcoach.typepad.com/presentation_coach/2005/05/speaking_ahead.html

http://presentationcoach.typepad.com/presentation_coach/2005/04/who_are_these_p.html

2. I've also become interested in an approach called
"Beyond Bullet Points" (BBP), from the book of that
name. To crassly summarise BBP, its outcome is that
you usually put just a single image (often based on a
photo) on each slide, perhaps with a very short
sentence. The idea is that your slides have almost no
content, so the audience focuses on you, the
presenter, as they should.

For cases where you distribute copies of your
presentation, BBP advocates writing full sentences on
your PowerPoint Notes Pages, and giving people a PDF
of _those_ rather than of just your slides.

You can download the introduction, table of contents
and chapter 1 of the BBP book from:
http://www.sociablemedia.com/thebook_resources_downloads.php4

3. I've been interested to read arguments for and
against PowerPoint. Evidently some people think that
it (and other presentation software?) is "evil". On
the BBP site, there's a link to an article by Donald
Norman that defends PowerPoint:
http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/in_defense_of_powerp.html

(I'd read Norman's book, The Design of Everyday
Things, but hadn't realised he was co-founder of
Nielsen Norman Group with Jakob Nielsen.)

I hope you find the links useful.

Regards,
Craig

===== My e-mail address is: