atw: Structure of Error Messages

  • From: Kathy Menzel <k.menzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "AODC Discussion List (E-mail)" <aodc2003reg@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"Austechwriter (E-mail 2)" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:31:45 +0930

Hi all
Can anyone recommend a website or offer some advice regarding the
appropriate structure of error messages.
Ideally I'd like a formula that gives specific phraseology.  We are writing
for internal application for  users who by the most part are experienced
computer and business operators.

I believe we need to always be succinct, and then:-
*       state the nature of the problem (always?) including field names
*       state the solution (always)
E.g. Transport mode cannot be created. Date range already in use. Change
From and To Dates.

OR  can we...

*       Describe the error in a way that implies the solution?
E.g. A transport mode already exists for the From and To dates entered.

Can anyone offer supporting arguments for one method over the other.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kathy

Important disclaimer: AusBulk Ltd. maintains an up-to-date virus detection
system. However the sender does not represent/warrant that this transmission
is free from content error, computer viruses or other defects. If you choose
to open an attached file, you accept the risk of any consequent loss or
damage.

Important notice: This transmission contains confidential information.
Copyright in the content is claimed by AusBulk Ltd. and/or attributed third
party. The views of the sender are not those of AusBulk Ltd., unless the
sender specifically states them to be.