atw: Re: 'module' instead of 'section'

  • From: "Howard Silcock" <howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 22:44:54 +1100

I share your dislike of 'module', Terry, but my reasons are a bit different
from others'.

My reaction is: why can't they use an ordinary word? I'm suspicious when
people introduce a new word when a perfectly good one - like 'section' in
this case - is available and well established. Are they the kind of people
who think 'use' is too ordinary and so always write 'utilise', or feel
compelled to 'commence' things instead of 'starting'?

Besides, I think of modules as things that can be put together in different
ways for different purposes, which these pieces of text probably can't.

Howard