atw: Re: austechwriter Digest V8 #19

  • From: Graeme Foster <gfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 22:40:17 +1100

Hmmm matched against?  One presumes that derives from the noun 'boxing match'
or whatever sort of match.  So we would have matched against, or in the case of
some other form of competition - 'competitioned against'.

The current brouhaha about standardised school tests is interesting - the
issues seem to me to be that:

1.  Whilst we don't want a fixed in the mud, 18th century Dickensian English,
if anyone can use any words or conventions they like, we will lose the
commonality required for understanding, which could erode to impossible levels
very quickly indeed, certainly within 50 - 100 years or so.

2.  Are we saying that it is impossible to define any common core of things we
should be able to do in the English language area? What arrant nonsense.

3.  Debate has been poor - the 'in 1890 we were expecting students to spell the
following correctly' type stuff is very well, they were the standards - but how
good was the performance? There was always a core of people who were
intelligent, but hopeless at spelling and the like.  I remember a headmaster
marking a spelling test I did in the 1950's - which I still have somewhere. I
spelled everything correctly, and he marked all 15 words as wrong. I wondered
what that was about at the time, I wonder more what it was about now.
(Alzheimers? On the piss?)

4. Many worthwhile students and members of our society will not ever spell
well, or be very proficient in the use of grammar.  That is part of the point,
but what is of concern is the other 80+ %, many of whom are also doing badly.
Many of their teachers can't use English properly, so how will they?

4.      The English performance of many teachers is poor - I see reports from
teachers whoy have a level of English proficiency that is unacceptable for a
primary school student. Why were they taught so badly?

5. The schools say they cannot fit any more into the curriculum - communication
skills and the like - but what seems absolutely evident to me is that there is
so much time wasting in schools it is a scandal. Having been a teacher for a
while I recognise time filling behaviour for what it is.  When my children
don't want to go to school for weeks on end because all they did was watch
movies, write essays about something which remain unmarked, or somesuch, I
cringe. Our schools are in crisis in many ways.

Is this a suitable topic for debate in this forum?