atw: Re: Was or were?

  • From: John Maizels <john@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 09:21:08 +1000

In my experience, there are no rules that I'd trust. Preference and choice comes back to corporate or house style (IBM is/was always specified as singular), so I'd ask the client.

In absence of any other guidance my personal pick is singular for an organisation or defined group that has an identifiable name, and plural for a collection of people or organisations where there's no commonly referenced entity.

However, at least one sports media outlet has a formal policy that teams are plural. EG: "The Roosters are playing..." (which sounds OK because of the "s") or "England have announced..." which sounds positively weird but does follow the rule.

Unfortunately, the actual choice of singular or plural is often capricious, so the best I've ever achieved is to accept the client's choice and then strictly enforce it for consistency.

To answer your question: in NSW politics is "the Bear Pit" a place (singular) or a collection of individuals representing multiple parties (plural)? Bah.

John

At 08:35 22/04/2017, D wrote:

Is there a preference for describing organisations as a singular or plural? For instance, is it "the government were considering..." or "was"?

John P Maizels FSMPTE
Mobile: +61-412-576-888

Media Versatilist:  no problem too complex

SMPTE Governor , Asia Pacific Region