atw: Re: Was: First impressions of Google Wave? Qualified 'tick': Now what's a "feature"?

  • From: "Matthew da Silva" <journo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:51:37 +1000

Peter - I quite agree with you about quality control. At the risk of
provoking more attacks, I'll just say that what you ask for costs money.
Beat reporters have in the past been supported by ads. In Australia the
situation is not so bad, but in the US newspapers and magazines are dropping
journalists helter-skelter as the Internet siphons of more of the rivers of
gold. I do think there is a role for newspapers to do more backgrounding for
readers. So in addition to the main news item that you rightly criticise,
they also publish a round-up in the weekend edition. Sort of a'7.30 Report',
magazine-style feature story to flesh out the issues. Maybe they don't do
enough, and I've heard people voice the same opinion elsewhere, with similar
tones of regret.

Cheers,

Matthew da Silva   BA (Hons) MMediaPrac Syd
m 0434 536 772 | e journo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | w matthewdasilva.com | t
twitter.com/matt_dasilva