atw: Re: Translation into French

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:24:09 +1100

Actually Brian (Clarke)

<http://www.sbs.com.au/language/> might be easier, which takes you to the
SBS Language Services Web site.

My main concern is that, like many of the more generalized translation
services, they can be fine for everyday, spoken language work (although I
often take issue with their sloppy translations of the Austrian police
drama Inspector Rex -- 19:30 Thursdays) but not for technical translation,
especially in the areas of instructions, where safety can be an issue, and
of schematics / design drawings, pure language knowledge will rarely suffice

Having a French friend who can translate general phrases, for example, is
nowhere near good enough when the person you need is someone accredited for
/ experienced in technical translation for a given work
discipline.  SOmeone with industry knowledge.

Far better to work with someone who translates manuals, not PR
presentations and radio advertisements, otherwise the results can be, at
best, laughable and, at worst, downright dangerous.

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas

At 15:58 4/3/2004, you wrote:
>Hi Ilana,
>Try SBS.
>Any phone book.
>Brian.

Michael Granat -- Write Ideas*

Plain English Technical Communication.
Advertising Copywriting.
Business Writing.

E-mail:         writeideas@xxxxxxxx
Web Site:               <http://home.pacific.net.au/~megranat/>

*Trading As business #0828673K
  Registered (1987) Corporate Affairs Victoria, Australia.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

E & OE