atw: Re: The user guide from hell

  • From: Kath Bowman <Kath.Bowman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 09:02:42 +1030

The worst user manual I came across was for a digital video recorder. All
through the instructions, it kept telling me what to do if things did not work
as expected. It was hard going, and each task took several pages to describe.
It was full of “If this happens…”  followed by “If that happens…” There were no
simple steps to follow to do a task. I didn’t encounter any of the problems
they described. They should have used simple step-based procedures, followed by
trouble-shooting sections.
However, the recorder was as badly designed as the manual, and I got rid of the
recorder (and the manual) after a while.
Cheers
Kath