atw: Re: SEC: UNCLASS Weasel words

  • From: "Allan Charlton" <Allan.Charlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:06:16 +1000

Howard said:
> the authors of that passage seemed to be introducing
> it so that they could appear to be promising to do
> something about training when they were really just
> promising to kick ideas around.

Agreed.  Saying that some unidentified person or group will implement a
framework merely suggests that perhaps someone might draw a picture of
someone else's concept.

I also noticed that they used the passive voice, so that they couldn't
be blamed for inaction.  It could always be someone else's inaction.  If
they had said "We will implement a Divisional learning and development
framework ..." they would be making a commitment, and they carefully
avoided that.

The real question might be whether the authors realised how transparent
they were.

Allan

confidential/privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete it and notify the sender.
Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of the Department.

You should scan any attached files for viruses.