atw: Re: SEC: UNCLASS RE: The decreasingly meaningful authoring experience

  • From: "Steve Hudson" <adslyy5g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 13:35:26 +1000

> it is an important topic that's not just of theoretical interest but also
could directly affect the future of technology and its coexistence with us

Completely agree, which is why I keep a close eye on its progression. The
Future timeline for technical writing is at tech whirlers if you want a
squizzy.

> I see it as reflecting a mistaken view of technology, in which the human
role has been suppressed

Here is my analogy.

In China, 8 people are required to harvest a field. In Australia, we have
one person driving a tractor. Your argument says that we created a new job -
Tractor Driver - so thus there are more opportunities for farmhands to find
work. My argument says a piece of technology has replaced the work of 8
people with the work of 1, slashing the available jobs (pardon the pun).

In China, there are 8 human roles. In Australia, there is one. Thus in
Australia, the human role has been replaced with a technology. Yes, there is
still some human input there, but it has drastically changed. No longer is
it hands-on, instead it is an abstracted representation of the activity.