atw: Re: "Receival" and dictionaries . . .

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:10:04 +1100

Sure, Michael (L).

Now guys, thanks to atw, you can regularly receival the latest on that
wonderfully useful word on this list.

Sheesh!

If Google (which probably picks up every mistyped E-mail and verbally
atrocious piece of jargon, slang and US/Germanic "English" floating
around) was the arbiter of our language use, we'd all be speaking complete
"gobbledeGooglegook"!

It is good to know that "receival" is there but, for such obscure and ancient
stuff, which is most likely to be an industry-specific term that came from
the shipping industry (and that I recall is still used by freight and parcel
courier companies) it is one for the Glossary and for a specific
trade/shipping audience that uses the term (which I think was the point of
Terry D's [?] original post) not for use by the general populace in their
daily lives and transactions.

(Whoops. Huge run-on sentence there.  Oh well.  This is a casual E-mail.)

So "receival" is a piece of historically embedded, industry-specific jargon
that is used by a limited (goods shipping specific) audience.

Can we move on now, please?

HTH.

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas

At 10:47 23/2/2005, you wrote:
>Graeme Foster:
>
> > Maybe receival doesn't crack a mention because of the word 'receipt'.
> > It is surely the nominalisation of receive.
>
>The existence of alternatives hasn't hampered the language previously; I don't
>see why it should have started as recently as 1637. Anyway, the task of
>dictionaries is not to discard unnecessary words, but to record those in use.
>As I wrote previously, I'm familiar with the word -- though I doubt that I've
>ever actually used it myself.
>

>Michael Lewis
>-------------------
>Brandle Pty Limited