atw: Re: Push for Simpler Spelling

  • From: Howard.Silcock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 12:00:06 +1000

I read it and - yes, I did wince!

I can't help thinking spelling reform would be more successful if we could
do it a small step at a time, getting rid first of the grossest anomalies
but maintaining at least some sense of history. But zealous reformists
seem to want to stop at nothing, and tend to sweep aside people's
objections on perfectly reasonable grounds like different regional
pronunciations. (For instance, I pronounce 'poor' and 'paw' identically,
but many English speakers distinguish them. So would a simplified spelling
distinguish them or not?)

Howard

Howard Silcock
Technical Writer
Electronic Systems
ADI Limited
PO Box 14, Deakin, ACT 2600, Australia
Ph: +61 2 6234 6000
Fx: +61 2 6234 6011
Email: howard.silcock @adi-limited.com
Web: www.adi-limited.com

Janice Gelb <janice.gelb@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
06/07/2006 11:15 AM
Please respond to austechwriter

        To:     austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        atw: Push for Simpler Spelling

Read it and wince:

http://wireservice.wired.com/wired/story.asp?section=Breaking&storyId=1543991

-- Janice

This Email may contain confidential and/or privileged information and is
intended
solely for the addressee(s) named. If you have received this information in
error, or
are advised that you have been posted this Email by accident, please notify the
sender by return Email, do not redistribute it, delete the Email and keep no
copies.