atw: Re: OT: How Many Soldiers have Died on the Battlefield of Waterloo this Year? ...

  • From: "Geoffrey" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 18:24:59 +1000

Yes, I would probably have written "who", but would anyone not have
understood the original sentence? Which prompts the question: what's the
real issue: communicative success or conservative snobbishness?

Why must "that" and "which be reserved for non-humans and "who" for humans"?
Will our culture collapse if the distinction is not maintained? Will
communication be thwarted?

I was taught that possessive apostrophes can only be used in relation the
higher animals ("The horse's mane is brown"), but not the lower ( "The
slug's coat is slimy": WRONG). Where did this nonsense (and the
that/which/who nonsense) come from? Is it really worth preserving? Do we
alienate the young writer by foisting on them rules that contribute
nothing to the communicative force of our writing?

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell

Principal Consultant

Abelard Consulting Pty Ltd