atw: Re: Microsoft online help

  • From: "Suzy Davis" <suzy.davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 09:19:08 +1000

Hi austechies

I've been away for a bit and have just come back.

I like the look of that product too.

I've been developing a Word-To-Web product for a while now, which allows you
to convert MS Word documents (ie a chapter of a book), into XHTML pages that
meet your website or intranet's HTML requirements.

I didn't develop it with Online Help in mind, but on reading this thread it
could be adapted or evolved in that way.  I'd be interested in hearing from
anyone who is interested in this area about any frustrations you might have
with the available tools and what you would prefer.

Why did I write it? I realised that for my business to be successful I
needed to have a way of getting MS Word documents that provided step by step
instructions, brochures, etc,  both into PDF format where they could be
emailed to someone, and also up on my website with little bother.  I didn't
want to have a huge back log of documents waiting to be converted; and I
wanted everything to be concurrent.

I've set it up so that when you finish writing your chapter, or 2 page
instruction sheet etc in MS Word, you can convert it to PDF and it will
convert all the MS Word-to-Word document links to PDF-to-PDF links; and when
it converts to HTML, it converts it to true HTML (not MS Word HTML) which
you store in the document template's building.  It then maps the Word styles
to HTML tags, and creates separate HTML page documents with Previous and
Next tags.  And the idea is that it creates and HTML page that looks as good
as the PDF document; ie  reflects your branding, and enables consistency of
branding message.  Often an organisation's online documentation looks like
it has been created by a different company to their hard copy documentation.
(And I realise my website is not a good advertisement - I'm in the
development phase at the moment).

I'm at home in MS Word, and with some much documentation to look after I
just wanted it all to be in the same base format.

You can take  a look at my first knowledge base drafts here -
http://www.createspace.com.au/Learn/appsEfficiencyKB/LearnMenuAE.html

It's still in beta  - but thought it might be worth telling you about.  I'm
aiming to keep my prices low - and expect it to retail around $150 per user
+ templates.

My next phase would be to run the program over a directory of documents and
it will create the higher level menu page/TOC as well.

I'm by no means an online Help technical writer - as a technical writer I
worked in the paper manual space mostly.  But this discussion makes me
wonder how many of you are like me and would like to be able to manage your
documentation in the MS Word space - I probably should contact the EC
Software guys - who are doing what I would call a medium to high end online
help system, and see if I can build a Word addin for there tool.  Is that
something that would be of use to people?

I would be interested in hearing about this - it might just be me but I
thought worth seeing if anyone else has an interest in this kind of thing,
and if so,what. J

Apologies if readers think this is a self promotion; it really isn't my
intention right now - I'd be waiting a few months until my product was at
least in its final development stages and a better advertisement for it
before I did that.

I am genuinely curious about what Help authors might want in this area.

Regards Suzy

Suzy Davis
Microsoft Word Templates, Apps for Microsoft Office

& Documentation Projects
www. <http://www.appsforoffice.com/> appsforoffice.com

(Melbourne) Australia
Email  <mailto:suzy.davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> suzy.davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx