atw: Re: Macquarie Dictionary call on despatch vs dispatch

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:41:12 +1100

Hi Stewart (Walker).

In case it helps, the Collins English Dictionary (Australian Edition) says
of despatch "less common spelling of dispatch" and suggests despatch as the
alternative (in less common use) spelling of dispatch at the start of the
definition for the latter.

The etymology of of these words is rather interesting: [C16: from Italian
dispacciare, from Provencal despachar, from Old French despeechier to set
free, from des- DIS- + -peechier, ultimately from Latin pedica a fetter]

I remember being taught "despatch" at school (a quarter of a century ago +)
but, it appears that the more common usage has switched around since then
to something that is preferred in US English, which has few of the post
North American independence (primarily French) influences on the
international English language.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Michael Granat