atw: Re: Into Linguistic semantics.

  • From: "Rod Stuart" <rod.stuart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:22:07 +0900

Intuitively it seems to me to depend upon the verb you have chosen.
By this I mean it SEEMS correct to me to say "...........putting new files
INTO the course resources folder"
However at the same time it would sound better to me if it were "..........*
placing* new files IN the course resources folder".

On 28/02/07, Warren Lewington <warren.lewington@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Hello all. I was wondering about this. I have written "... putting new
files into the course resources folder."

I debated with myself whether it could be "...putting new files in to the
course folder."

I resorted to the preceding verb rule; that 'in' should be tied to a
preceding verb. I am curious about the "putting new files" phrase. Could you
use "...in to..." or is that just plain bad form? Or, conversely, should you
really use "into"?

I hope this isn't too obvious a question. It seems to me you could go
either way... In any case, it is really nice to have the time in a gig to
actually really think about the context and usage of the writing. Maybe I am
thinking too much, it could explain the headache.

Regards to all;
Warren.

--
Rod Stuart