atw: Re: I just googlewhacked with antineologist

  • From: "Allan Charlton" <Allan.Charlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:31:48 +1100

Petra makes a good point and although it might not look that way, I
agree with her.

Neologism is vital and our language would be stifled without it.  When
neologisms are appropriate they get acceptance, and that's how they get
into dictionaries.  'Petrol' and 'Kerosene' came into Australian English
as trademarked product names early last century, and they stayed.  The
UK uses 'parrafin' for kerosene and the US uses 'gasoline' for petrol.
Ask an English person what they mean by 'hoovering the floor'.  The last
Hoover I owned washed my clothes.  There are lots of other examples.

I love to see creative use of language and I'm as guilty of it as the
next person.  What I don't like is mental laziness and sloppiness.
Deliberate ignorance is worst of all.  Was the woman googling her
handbag at the railway station lazy, ignorant or creative?  I'll never
know.

Allan

>>> petsky@xxxxxxxxxx 02/24/05 1:48 pm >>>

Hi All,

Unlike Alan I find a woman saying she was "googling her handbag" funny
and creative

<snip>

confidential/privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete it and notify the sender.
Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of the Department.

You should scan any attached files for viruses.