atw: Re: Hemingway

  • From: Bob T <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:17:19 +1100

Howard and others,
When I started as a technical writer, I was told to avoid 'appears' and to
use 'is displayed', as in
'a dialog box is displayed',
NOT 'a dialog box appears'.

There was a mention by my mentor about frightening some folks with
ghost-like dialog boxes appearing.
I was more concerned about dialog boxes with poor layout, confusing logic,
and bad grammar.  Don't get me started on that topic.

As for Hemingway, I did not find it useful.
Bob T

Bob Trussler