atw: Re: Group feeds -- an answer

  • From: Peter G Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:04:53 +1000

Given that I burdened everyone with my worry about not getting emails, I should thank those that offered suggestions,
apologize in case I caused any else any concern, and provide an explanation in case anyone else comes across the problem.

It turns out that it wasn't a junk filter or any such.... I ran through a whole hosts of tests and searches for that.

It actually resulted from my having installed a trial of a different desktop email client.   Having tried it, and deciding that I wanted something else, I switched to an alternative client and stopped using the one I'd tried.

What didn't occur to me is that the desktop email client I'd tried and left installed and wasn't "using",  had set up a background process / service for handling email communications and, as I eventually discovered, that service was still collecting emails periodically via a schedule, downloading them into the client's area and clearing them from the main ISP server.

The result was that when I went to use the preferred client, it could only download those messages which the background service hadn't yet picked up in its scheduled polling of the ISP mail server, didn't know about the downloaded files, and was "missing" a whole host of emails.

(Mind you, for a while I there, I didn't miss the spam....)

<blush> and D'oh.

Emphasizes the  benefits of immediately uninstalling something you don't intend to use anymore.  Will be running a hunt for any other unwanted installed services for a while....   I try out quite a lot of free stuff.

-Peter M

************************************************** To view the austechwriter archives, go to www.freelists.org/archives/austechwriter To unsubscribe, send a message to austechwriter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the Subject field (without quotes). To manage your subscription (e.g., set and unset DIGEST and VACATION modes) go to www.freelists.org/list/austechwriter To contact the list administrator, send a message to austechwriter-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx **************************************************