atw: Re: For the Serial Comma Supporters

  • From: Howard Silcock <howard.silcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 11:54:53 +1100

That's a beautiful example of careless use of commas and how it can leave a
reader momentarily baffled! I suppose there would have been less scope for
misunderstanding with a serial comma (some of us call them 'Oxford commas').

As for triggering protracted and meandering threads - well, I can only
agree, having unwittingly started a few, including the recent one about the
'/' (I'm not even going to mention it by name). I'll also avoid expressing
any opinion for or against those controversial commas.

Howard