atw: Re: All Electronic Doco Solution?

  • From: "Matthew da Silva" <mdasilva@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:38:07 +1000

SupportPoint was developed by Panviva in 2001. Panviva was originally a
document creation company. They saw a gap in the market for document
delivery and developed the software to fill it.

SupportPoint is a high-end delivery system. It provides
context-sensitive help and if the client version is purchased, runs
concurrently with the target application. There is also a web-based
version. SupportPoint does not run on Macs.

If the client version is used, SupportPoint provides 'always-on-top'
functionality. This means that the SupportPoint window always sits on
top of the application, enabling easy navigation. The interface has a
number of standard tabs visible always. The tabs are 'Content', 'Rules',
'Workflow' and 'Tasks'. Because there are a number of different tabs
visible always, SupportPoint gives the user multiple avenues to relevant
support documents.

To access the interface, the user simply clicks on an icon in the
Microsoft Windows status bar. This spawns the interface window, with all
tabs visible immediately. Relevant content is sourced and available
immediately.

A user can also make notes which are visible only to him- or herself and
the system administrator. This enables the sys admin to review the ways
users are using the system, and update the regular content accordingly.

There is also an email feature. By clicking on an icon, the user can
generate an email that is then sent to specified business owners, BAs,
production support etc. This is a convenient feature, as the user can
request further information while they are inside the SupportPoint
window; there is no need to go to Outlook, find the relevant person etc.
The sent email automatically contains information about the location it
was sent from.

Matthew da Silva
Technical Writer
Communications and Training Team
Application Services Group
Information and Communications Technology
Level 3, Services Building G12, 353 Abercrombie Street, The University
of Sydney, NSW, 2006
Tel: (02) 9036 9091      Mob: 0434 536 772