atw: Re: Adobe Question

  • From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:10:50 +1100

Dear Nilla,

According to the PC Webopedia site file extensions area
<http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/fileextensionsp.asp> .png = Bitmap
graphics (Portable Network Graphics) files, and are not linked to any
specific application.

PNG files are usually seen on Web sites as it is quite a compact and
versatile format.

Your problem here, however, is almost certainly one with Word, which
purports to support every graphics format in the known Universe but really
only likes to deal with .BMP flavour bitmaps and .WMF Windows Metafile
structured drawings.  Anything else causes it to try and convert graphics
to what it can understand on the fly (look what it does when displaying
JPEGs), thereby eating up system resources (especially CPU time) as it
tries to print, leaving almost nothing spare for any other application to use.

(Word is a huge resource hog at the best of times.  It steals memory space
and even runs a custom file cache that it doesn't tell you about, plus
generates heaps of temporary files while working.  It is always best to
exit and restart Word before performing any major print job, as it clears
away the hidden files and stolen caches, so you have some resources
available for printing.)

So the problem is almost certainly NOT with Acrobat.  To test this, try
printing to file using a PostScript printer driver (Apple colour laser
writer or similar), closing Word, restarting your computer to clear any
memory conflicts, then dragging and dropping that file from the Windows
Explorer onto the open Acrobat Distiller window.

Acrobat should be able to process the file for you.

Your best bet, however, is to take the original graphics, convert them to
BMP or WMF files as is appropriate (most likely BMP) using something like
the Imsi HiJaak Pro picture converter or Adobe Photoshop, then replacing
the PNG images in the Word document with BMPs and trying again.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Michael Granat
Write Ideas