atw: MS Word gurus - variables and hidden paragraphs

  • From: Naomi Kramer <nkr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:07:49 +1000

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone (maybe Steve?) can help me out on this one...

I recently wrote a Style Guide for our company... all well and good, except it included guidelines on the use of some OpenOffice features. Now I have Word users writing to me asking, "what about us?"

The main issue is the use of master documents, variables and hidden text/paragraphs. We have a set of child documents which utilise variables to refer to the product name (with the variable set in the master document) and will hide text and paragraphs based on a variable set in the master document.

Is it a) possible and b) feasible to do this in Word 2003? I've had a quick muck-around, but I have way too much work to do as is, and was hoping someone could provide an answer based on experience...

- Naomi