atw: MS Word: Queries about using TOCs with SEQ fields in place of 'pagenum'

  • From: "Warren Lewington" <warren.lewington@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 11:20:09 +1100

In MS Word.

I have a curiosity someone may be able to help me with. I don't think it is
possible, however here goes:

Creating an A4 landscape page for some documentation, using tables to split
into roughly A5 sizing (2 columns, each with 3 rows) which was the simplest
option for my needs to accommodate layout, content amounts, and look
requirements. I would like each column to have a page number; so I guess I
am numbering columns rather than pages aren't I? This was initially very
easy, I used SEQ fields, and put one field in each column. That skinned that
cat. Sort of.

Now to the TOC. How do I link the TOC (or what TOC field should I write)
that will pick up headings in the rows of columns with a SEQ field number,
rather than the Microsoft standard of picking up A4 pages?

I considered the use of bookmarks and or section breaks but concluded it
would get messy, and all end in tears when I am not around.

So far I have decided to simply use one SEQ page number on each page, and
utilise the standard MS TOC style, which is more than adequate, just maybe
not perfect.

Any suggestions people?

Warren.