atw: Have you documented your tech writing tasks?

  • From: Xmplar <info@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 23:08:02 +1100

I'm in the middle of having to write up what I do as a tech writer - "internal documentation" - as well as writing customer-facing doco, and wondering who has been faced with a similar situation.

Have you been asked to write up what you do in your job, or do you voluntarily write notes on what you do as a tech writer for your organisation?
Are they rough notes (for the next person, who it's assumed knows about tech writing) or do you meticulously organise job procedures assuming that the next person who picks up your job is a beginner?
Do you always write up job tasks, or is video/screen captures easier?

To contact the list administrator, send a message to