atw: FW: Word 2002 - upgrade or abandon - LONG POST- includes interesting info re CHAR style

  • From: <Debbie.Hope@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:17:36 +1100

I am a member of the WORD-PC list. The following very interesting post =
came
through this morning.
I am only forwarding this to Austechwriter as I know that it has been
discussed many times. I haven't contributed to this thread on WORD-PC, =
so
don't shoot the messenger!

Debbie

Date:    Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:08:39 -0500
From:    Keith Soltys <Keith.Soltys@xxxxxxx>

I ran into the problem where removing the Char styles deleted the text.
Unreal. I've also run into a problem where Word refuses to delete the
style.

I think the problem still exists in SP-2 although it may not be as
rampant.

In my case, I've gone to Adobe FrameMaker for big projects, which is
what
I should have been using in the first place.

Keith
--
Keith Soltys
Technical Writer, Quality Assurance

Hello all.
I need some advise re Word 2002 (basic - not SP1 or SP2).  I'm getting
quite
frustrated with it. And I'm wondering whether I need to go forward to
SP1
or
SP2, or maybe I'd be better off going back to Word 2000 which seemed
more
reliable.

Please bear with me while I explain.

I've written to this group before and read a lot of useful postings
about
"Char" styles and I've been systematically trying to get rid of them
when
they occur. Although I must say they haven't been giving me any real
trouble, and I've been wondering whether I should just give up and leave
them.

But yesterday Word did something wacky to me.  I have a basic paragraph
style called "docpara", but of course I found an old doc that had
"docpara
char".  So I was painstakingly finding each instance of this, looking at
what it was, and converting it manually to "docpara".  But when I
finished
and saved the doc,
the docpara paragraphs had disappeared on several pages.  Not just the
formatting - the actual content. Gone. Vanished.  And on some other
pages,
the text had a completely different format (very small font)!

Now, I can't figure out what I could have been doing that would have
deleted
the entire paragraph(s). I was using the style pane, and right clicking
on
docpara char to get the next instance, highlighting it in the doc, and
then
clicking on "docpara" to convert it...and checking in "docpara char" to
see
that the number of instances had decreased.

Seemed easy.  So now I'm wondering if 2002 is just too buggy.  My
questions:
1. Has anyone ever had this happen to them and know why?
2. I remember reading somewhere in a posting that 2002 SP2 "gets rid of
Char" styles.  Is that right?  What actually happens to a doc that has
Char
styles when you open it in SP2?
3. Has anyone worked with 2002, ended up with Char styles, and then
abandoned 2002 and gone back to 2000?  What happens to the Char styles?
My
guess is they are still there, still called "Char", but probably marked
as
Paragraph or Character but not both.  i.e. maybe more reliable and
easier
fix or live with???

Help.

Thank you

Tony Chu.

P.S.  AAAAARGH

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

This email is confidential and may also be privileged.  If you are not =
the
intended recipient please notify us immediately by telephoning +44 (20) =
7330
3000 and requesting the IT Helpdesk. You should not copy it or use it =
for any
purpose nor disclose its contents to any other person.

Allen & Overy
One New Change
London
EC4M 9QQ

Tel:+44 (20) 7330 3000
Fax: +44 (20) 7330 9999
General Email: Helpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www: http://www.allenovery.com

Allen & Overy is a solicitors' partnership.  A list of the names of =
partners
and their professional qualifications is open to inspection at the above
office.  The partners are either solicitors or registered foreign =
lawyers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This is a legal communication not a financial communication.  Neither =
this
nor any other communication from this firm is intended to be, or should =
be
construed as, an invitation or inducement (direct or indirect) to any =
person
to engage in investment activity. The following information is provided =
in
accordance with the Solicitors' Financial Services (Conduct of Business)
Rules 2001.  The provision of our legal services may relate to =
investments.
We are not authorised by the Financial Services Authority, but we are
regulated by the Law Society and we can undertake certain activities in
relation to investments which are limited in scope and incidental to our
legal services or which may reasonably be regarded as a necessary part =
of our
legal services.  If for any reason we are unable to resolve a problem =
between
us and a client, our client may utilise the complaints and redress =
scheme
operated by the Law Society.