atw: Correct usage conundrum: "Match to" vs "Match with"

  • From: "Anthony D'Silva" <dsilvant@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:33:03 +0800

Hi All,

Recently, I came across a UI screen which looked like this:

            *Notifications*

            Receive e-mail notifications when your bid is:

            <checkbox1> Accepted

            <checkbox2> Rejected

            <checkbox3> Matched with an offer

            <checkbox4> Not matched with an offer

I wasn't sure if it would be better to use “matched to” instead of “matched
with” in  <checkbox3>  and <checkbox4>. I tried googling for answers and
found that both “matched to” and “matched with” are widely used (and in some
cases it was just “matched”, as in “you will receive notification when your
bid matches an offer”). The fact that I am not a native speaker of English
makes it all the more difficult to determine the correct usage.

Any thoughts on the correct usage?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Anthony