[austechwriter] Re: Insurance deal for ASTC members

  • From: "KENT Christine" <CKENT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:27:33 +1000

Yes, my experience trying to get cover through a few agencies (including AO=
N) means I am now working through Entity (a management company) for the sol=
e purpose of getting cover for ONLY the times when the employer insists I n=
eed it.

Entity are willing to take you on as a 'sole trader' rather than as an empl=
oyee.  As an employee they do the whole tax and insurance bit.  As a 'sole =
trader' they look after the insurances for you but still pay you gross (ie =
they don't do your tax stuff).  However, I am getting the feeling that this=
 may not be viable for them in the long term - there were some hints that t=
his insurance situation is getting tricky.

I wonder if we really do need a name change to get insurance.  Has anyone t=
ried using the name 'information analyst' or 'documentor' or even 'trainer'=
 so that the word 'technical' goes missing?  My perception is that they thi=
nk we work with heavy machinery.

Christine