[austechwriter] Re: I'm not sure how well a strict XML struct ure would work in the real world

  • From: "Peter G. Martin" <peter.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:47:47 +1000

On Tue, 27 May 2003 14:11:34 +1000, Tracey.Simon@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>just to chime in also ....
>
>On the table thing - XHTML tables which look pretty much the=
 same as
>HTML,
>can be validated within XML if declared .. similar to CALS=
 tables.

>also .. a question - Has anyone had experience flowing XML into
>Frame 7?

Not really an answer to your question,  but I'll recently=
 contributed
a Perl module to CPAN (the central Perl repository) called
FrameMaker::FromHTML, which [sometimes] turns HTML into MIF
format.   Needs Really Nice HTML before it will work -- which is
why I recommend using HTML-tidy before or while trying it.

Have seen XML go in, using the structured Frame stuff, but=
 haven't
done it myself and can't remember the magic incantations. It's
possible, but I had the distinct impression that it's still early=
 days
yet and the DTD requirements are heavy.

-Peter G. Martin,
Technical writer, Proxima Technology