[austechwriter] Re: "I'ld" What! (was program /programme)

  • From: "bja" <bashley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 14:18:29 +1000

I grew up with "I'd" being a contraction for both 'I would' and 'I had'.
Both were quite acceptable.

Never heard of I'ld. Sounds like something Ned Flanders wouldly doodly say
:).

For confirmation, I took this from English Plus.
*************************************
Apostrophes with Verb Contractions

<SNIP>

5. Pronouns with 'would' or 'had' contracted.

Examples: I'd    he'd    she'd    you'd    we'd    they'd
I'd better go.
(I had better go.)

He'd want to go.
(He would want to go.)

In everyday conversation the word 'would' is often slurred and may be shown
as 'd following a noun in dialogue, e.g. "John'd be upset if he found out."

Bruce Ashley
Wizard of I'd