[austechwriter] Re: DITA versus DocBook, take two

  • From: Stuart Burnfield <sburnf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:31:02 +0800

Oops, pressed Send a little too soon:

Craig: DocBook is the best known and I think the oldest SGML DTD for
structured documentation. Another is IBMIDDoc, which is used in-house
at IBM. Both were designed with traditional technical manuals in mind.
It's not that they're limited to paper output or a particular page layout.
It's just that when the designers thought about how to classify all the
parts of a document, the sort of document they had in mind (perhaps
unconsciously) was the cover-TOC-part-chapter-subheading-appendix-index
sort.

DITA is a newer DTD, this time implemented in XML and designed for
flexible, topic-based documents. We know more about designing
help systems and online documents, and have better search engines
and library tools, so the DTDs can now cater for these better.

Hope this helps
---
Stuart Burnfield
Information Developer and all-round Tag Dag
Australian Programming Centre