[austechwriter] Career Advice

  • From: "Rohan Parkes" <rparkes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:12:55 +1000

I'd appreciate some advice from people on this list.

I've been working as a developer for about five years, building web and
desktop applications. Unfortunately, as I'm sure all of you are aware, the
industry is extremely low at present, and if anything, seems to be getting
worse. I had a job at the ANZ, but they outsourced everything to India a
year ago, and since then, I've been barely surviving on lousy short-term
contracts.

Prior to becoming a developer, I was doing a Ph.D in English at Melbourne
University, as well as working in public radio as a producer.

What I'd like to do is find some way of combing the writing and technical
streams. I had been thinking of technical writing. However, looking at
recent postings on this list, it looks like opportunities are pretty
hopeless there too, at lest in this country. Worse still, although I can
obviously write, and have technical qualifications, I can't claim to be "an
experienced technical writer", which blows me out of the water as far as
most job ads I see. I also haven't got any TW-specific qualifications.

Could anyone offer any advice? "Move to Saudi Arabia" has been suggested,
but doesn't appeal at the moment.

Rohan Parkes
Melbourne

-- Type: application/ms-tnef