[austechwriter] Re: Amend or Edit or something else?

  • From: "Babu, Subash" <subashb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:09:03 -0800

daryl.prasad@xxxxxxxxxx said:

<<---We have a button on one of our windows called "Amend". Clicking the
button allows you to change all the fields for a particular financial
security.
I don't think "Amend" is the correct word to use (based on Oxford 10th
and Macquarie 3rd definitions). I would rather see the noun "Edit" used.
"Edit" also has the advantage of being familiar to most people (thanks to
Unix, Microsoft and others).
I would like your opinions please.--->>

"Edit" is fine as it allows you to change all the fields. Edit is
normally used when making editorial changes (in a text). But it is an
accepted term in UIs.

"Modify" is another caption that I am familiar with and it conveys the
exact meaning, *make changes to something*. "Change" is a generic term
and it has several other meanings other than changing some text or other
such things.  So go ahead and use "Edit" if your users are familiar with
the term (check whether any other screen has a button with same caption).
Otherwise, the best option for you is "modify."

~Subash

Subash Babu
subashb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx