[audubon-news] AUDUBON LAUDS HISTORIC ACQUISITION OF BAY AREA SALT PONDS

  • From: "BIANCHI, John" <JBIANCHI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:40:12 -0500

Contact: Dev Novack
dnovack@xxxxxxxxxxx
415/947-0331

AUDUBON LAUDS HISTORIC ACQUISITION OF BAY AREA SALT PONDS

Giant Leap Forward for San Francisco Bay Restoration Announced

San Francisco, CA, December 16, 2002 - National Audubon officials have
praised an extraordinary agreement announced today by U.S. Senator Dianne
Feinstein (D-CA) that enables the acquisition of 16,500 acres of Bay Area
salt ponds from Cargill, Inc. through a unique public-private partnership.
The successful completion of negotiations is a significant step forward in
helping return these salt ponds to their natural state as healthy wetlands.

"San Francisco Bay is a site of international significance, and this
acquisition sets the stage for the largest tidal wetlands restoration ever
attempted on the U.S. Pacific Coast," said National Audubon Society
President John Flicker.

Restoration of large parcels such as the Cargill salt ponds is critical to
restoring the Bay's overall health, and will provide many long-term benefits
such as increased habitat for fish and wildlife, cleaner water, and
additional recreational opportunities for the public. The South Bay salt
ponds acquisition is part of 'Bring Back the Bay,' Audubon's 20-Year Plan to
restore the entire San Francisco Bay estuary, starting with 100,000 acres of
wetlands - half the acreage that has been lost or damaged.

"Audubon is working every day to protect our great natural heritage by
restoring and conserving major ecosystems and wildlife habitats across the
country.  This initiative is one of our highest priorities, and Audubon is
committing resources at every level to support it," Flicker continued.

The completion of these negotiations culminates more than two years of close
cooperation between Audubon's San Francisco Bay Restoration Program, the
offices of Senator Feinstein (D-Calif.) and California Governor Gray Davis,,
Cargill management, private philanthropists and other conservation groups.
Audubon applauds the leadership of those involved for demonstrating that
private economic goals can be made compatible with the protection of the
environment.

"This is a unique opportunity to implement a major habitat-preservation and
restoration project in the heart of a major urban area. It will be a model
for communities across the country that are looking to restore natural
resources in developed areas," said Jerry Secundy, Executive Director of
Audubon California. "We will act to ensure the restoration plan is
effective, and to support what we recognize as the most significant step to
date towards Bay restoration."

"As California's wetlands continue to disappear, efforts to restore them
become increasingly critical," he continued.  "Healthy wetlands are vital to
a healthy economy and environment. Large-scale wetlands restoration projects
are a valuable investment in our natural infrastructure, and will pay the
public huge dividends for years to come."

Audubon is dedicated to protecting birds and other wildlife and the habitat
that supports them. Our national network of community-based Audubon nature
centers and chapters, environmental education programs, and advocacy on
behalf of areas sustaining important bird populations, engage millions of
people of all ages and backgrounds in positive conservation experiences.

#   #   #