[audacity4blind] Re: wntmultiple files as one file

  • From: John Sanders <jmtsanders@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 10:47:23 -0500

Hi,
The problem is that every time I select multiple files to open in audacity, I get this dialog that gives me to options. One to open all of the tracks directly in to audacity or one to open the raw data.
What one should I select when I'm opening multiple wav files?
I hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,
John Sanders

On 1/27/2016 2:16 AM, Andrew Downie wrote:

Hi John

Others may have other (perhaps better) suggestions, but the following will work.

Before dealing with the export process, I will mention need for the Lame encoder in case you are not yet aware of the need for it. It is a necessary extra in order to export t to mp3. It can be downloaded from the above link and is also discussed in the Audacity Manual.

Having imported your various wav files into Audacity, each on its own track, you need to have them set up so they will play in the required order. I can think of two ways of doing this. One is to copy contents of each subsequent track to the end of track 1. The second option is to use Audacity's Align Tracks feature. Both are less complicated to do than to explain, but here goes.

Copying and pasting:
Select track 2 with the Enter key (the screen reader will tell you when it is selected and when it is not).
Press j to go to the beginning of the track.
Press shift-k to select all audio in the track.
Press control-c to copy the contents.
Press Enter to deselect the track.
Arrow up to track 1 and select it.
Press k to go to the end of the track.
Press control-v to paste the contents of track 2.

Repeat that process with tracks 3 etc.

You will then have all your audio in track 1 in the right order. Either delete all subsequent tracks or mute them (shift-u on each) before exporting from the File Menu.

Align tracks:
Select track 1 and make sure no others are selected.
Press k to go to the end of the track.
Deselect track 1
Arrow down to track 2.
Press Enter to select it.
From the Tracks Menu press Enter on Align Tracks.
Arrow down to Start to Cursor/Selection Start and press Enter.
That will put the beginning of track 2 and the end of track 1.
Press k to go to the end of track 2.
Press Enter to deselect it.
Arrow down to track 3 etc etc.
You can then export the entire project to one file.

Audacity has a multiple undo facility, which is good for those of us who get things wrong. If the worst comes to the worst, you can always trash the whole show and start again.

Andrew

On 27/01/2016 2:05 PM, John Sanders wrote:
Hi my name is John.
I'm new to using the audacity audio editing program.
I have a question: I'm wanting to save multiple wave files as one big mp3 file.
I've selected all of the files and opened them in audacity.
How should I go about exporting all of the files in to one big mp3 file?
I hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,
John Sanders

The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with subject line
unsubscribe