[audacity4blind] Re: compress dynamic

  • From: Steve the Fiddle <stevethefiddle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 14:45:57 +0000

"Chris's Dynamic Compressor" is a third party plug-in written by Chris
Capel, who passed away a year or two ago.
I believe that the last version that he released before he died was
version 1.2.7b1. This was a development (beta) version which in some
ways didn't work as well as his previous 1.2.6  release. !.2.7b1 was
the first version to be released under an open source license (MIT
license).

If you open the plug-in in a text editor there are some notes about
how it works.
I don't think that we "officially" provide technical support for third
party plug-ins, but operation of the 1.2.6 version of Chris's
compressor is pretty straightforward. The default settings work pretty
well. To increase the amount of compression try increasing the
"Compress ratio" from the default 0.5 to about 0.7 or 0.8. Settings
above 1.0 do weird things. The other settings can normally be left at
the defaults.

The dynamics compressor that is included in Audacity 2.x is documented
in the manual here:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/compressor.html

Steve