[audacity4blind] Re: adjusting playback volume on individual tracks

  • From: "Robbie" <tickleberryfun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 16:47:45 +0200

Hi Steve!
You select the track by pressing enter and then select the audio within by
pressing j shift-k. Then press alt-c for the Effects menu and A for Amplify.
Enter again to open the Amplify effect. The Amplification field will contain
the dB value required to achieve 0 db, the highest possible volume before
clipping occurs. Note that this may be a negative value if the track is
louder than 0 dB. You need to enter a negative value such as -5 to lower the
volume. Press enter to confirm.
You can also call up the Gain dialogue by pressing shift-g. Enter a dB value
and press enter. This can be done without selecting the track and even
during playback. It may seem the easier option, but it does not prevent
clipping or give you an indication of the current volume. Also its setting
has no bearing on the Amplify effect. I usually only use it to determine a
target volume during playback, then reset it to 0 and apply the respective
db value in Amplify.

Cheers! Robbie