[audacity4blind] Re: Transport Menu

  • From: "Ron Edwards" <facup1927@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 17:53:14 -0000

Thanks.  I will check that out.

Best wishes.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: audacity4blind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:audacity4blind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gale Andrews
Sent: 23 December 2011 08:06
To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: Transport Menu

| From "Ron Edwards" <facup1927@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| Thu, 22 Dec 2011 11:25:38 -0000
| Subject: [audacity4blind] Transport Menu
> I am using Windows 7 with Jaws 13 and the latest version of Audacity.
>

> Aiming to record something that will be about 4 hours long until editing,
> am wondering if this can be done by using the timer record facility.
>

> I ask the question as before when I have recorded something of similar
> length, the files become corrupt and the recording cannot be edited.
>

> Are there any specific settings I need to change in order to do this?

Ron,

Recording for four hours if you keep the Audacity project rate at
44100 Hz should be fine as regards Audacity, if you have the disk
space available. Audacity can record up to 13.5 hours at 44100 Hz.

To see how much disk space you have, CTRL + P then go to the
Directories Preferences and observe the free space in the Audacity
temporary directory. For a four hour stereo recording you need 4.8 GB
of space to make the recording, then every time you edit the whole
track you need another 4.8 GB of space. If necessary, go to the Quality
Preferences and change Default Sample Format to 16-bit. That means
you only need half as much space.

Export to most formats should be OK, but if you export to WAV or AIFF
you will be limited to a file size of 2 GB in most applications. If the
WAV or AIFF was 44100 Hz 16-bit stereo (the default WAV and AIFF
exports are 16-bit), then that takes 10 MB of space per minute, so
the maximum length of that file would be 3 hours 20 minutes.