[audacity4blind] Re: Setting bit rates for .mp3 export

  • From: Scott Berry <sberry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:53:22 -0500

Nope your right ogg files are not played by cd players. Basically you have a choice of mp3 and wma for cd's. However, if your like me and a music hound you want to make those puppies small enough you can have them on your computer and ogg does that.

ScottAt 02:07 PM 7/15/2006, you wrote:

Hey Scott,

It depends on the person and what they want to do - do they wish to make a Cd using .mp3 files (which would indeed require higher bit rate, as you say), or for some other purpose? For example, the .mp3 example files on the Nyquist plug-ins download page with example .mp3 files, we wanted to keep the mp3 files as small as possible for people using dial-up, so the mp3 files are made using the lowest bit rate without those weird artifacts. Also, someone had asked about mp3 files and CD's in the same email, implying the possibility he wanted to save his mp3 files to CD. I don't think there are CD players which can play .ogg files, although I may be incorrect on this point.

Cheers,

David

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Scott Berry wrote:

Most people will set their mp3s at 128Kbps. Now another thing I would like to point out here though is that ogg is a good compression format also. You can set ogg at 96kbps and get the same sound to me that an mp3 with 128kbps has. I only use ogg unless I am uploading something.

Scott
The audacity4blind website is at
http://users.northlc.com/sberry/

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.10.1/389 - Release Date: 7/14/2006