[audacity4blind] Re: Getting started with Audacity

  • From: cameronknox5@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 16:04:39 -0400

It has one headphone, jack, and a bunch of USB ports. The headphones themselves work, as when I’m using them, the sound output to the headphones, it’s just that it does not seem to recognize the microphone.Then again, the laptop itself does have a microphone, but I think I might’ve disabled at one point, because it’s a really crappy microphone, and I’m gonna have to check to see exactly what the headphones are called to make sure I’m not just thinking the headphones are the microphone and discounting it for that reason. Either way though, when I record stuff, and then try to play it back, there’s just nothing? Not even static, there’s just nothing. Slightly confused face. Granted, this is the first time I’ve tried actually recording from audacity, but still.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2023, at 13:32, Ted Galanos <galanosconsulting@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have some ideas that night, or might not work. First, is your computer a laptop with only one headphone jack which is known as a combo jack for either speakers or microphones? In this case, your headset may not work, especially if it has two plugs, one for microphone, and one for ear phones.

Ted GalanosAccessibility analyst, custom audio creator and editor.713-396-3495.galanosconsulting@xxxxxxxxx.Please consider a contribution to my Texas ABLE account. https://www.ablegifting.com/TX/K9L8A2Rare Patient Voice:

Want to get paid for your opinion? Rare Patient Voice wants to hear your story through confidential surveys and interviews, and pay you on a $100 per hour

https://rarepatientvoice.com/TGalanos/

On Aug 10, 2023, at 7:40 AM, cameronknox5@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I’m using a headphone jack for my headphones, and as far as I can tell, it appears that my microphone is not being recognized by my computer.

Sent from my iPhone
On Aug 9, 2023, at 19:34, Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Brian and Cameron

A question to both of you.  Is your mic/headset connecting to the computer through a USB port?  If so, that simplifies the debugging process.  I will work on that basis during the following diatribe.

Firstly, make sure your mic is connected before opening Audacity.  Otherwise Audacity will not find it.

Things changed a few releases ago in Audacity in relation to selecting inputs and outputs.  Hence the following complicated description.  From the tracks view (where you land when opening Audacity) press control+shift+f6.  If you are using current Audacity without modifying toolbars, press shift+tab until you reach the Audio Setup button and press Enter.  Arrow down until you reach Recording Device submenu and press Enter.  Using up and down arrows, you should find your headset mic (the name may or may not be obscure).  Press Enter to select it.

If you want playback to come through your headset, press Enter on the Audio Setup button again and select the Playback device submenu etc.

If you still have the older Audacity configuration, tabbing or shift-tabbing along the toolbars will bring you to comboboxes for selecting recording and playback devices.

My preference is to revert to the old layout.  From the View Menu, press Enter on Toolbars and arrow down to Device Toolbar and press Enter to check it.  If you want, you can then turn off the Audio Setup toolbar in a similar way.

If your mic does not appear in Audacity’s list of devices, my guess is that it is not being recognised by the computer.  That is unlikely in this day and age, but nothing can be ruled out.  In such a case, try a different USB port.

Please report progress or lack of.

Andrew