[audacity4blind] Re: Constant Versus Variable Bit Rate

  • From: Steve the Fiddle <stevethefiddle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 00:35:53 +0100

VBR with joint stereo will usually give a better trade-off between
file size and sound quality than other combinations.
The "Preset" options are generally a very good choice for music recordings.
Some MP3 players will report the duration of tracks incorrectly for
VBR encoded MP3s, though virtually all MP3 players will be able to
play both VBR and CBR correctly.
CBR is able to provide smaller file size than VBR by selecting a very
low bit-rate but the sound quality will be very poor.

Steve